Tuesday 12 June 2012

Wash Day Diary @ 9 Weeks Post: 11.06.12 ~ Another Kinky Twist Wash Day

"Finally.....I've now had a chance (but not the perfect weather!), to get around to washing my kinky twists for the 2nd time during this install."







I could see zero build up despite not washing my hair in ages **hangs head in shame** despite the fact I have been moisturing twice a day with my diluted Taliah Waajid mix and sealing every 3-4 days with grapeseed oil.  I've also been applying JBCO (or grapeseed oil if that is closer to hand) to my hairline every day.  I am surprised at the lack of build up but I'm certainly not complaining!!

So, another simple wash day in twists for me, and these are the steps I followed:


Sorry, no pictures from this wash day as I didn't feel like taking any with my mobile and I didn't have my proper camera with me.


1.   Completely saturated the full length of my twists and scalp with water and sectioned my hair in two halves.


2.  Applied my diluted shampoo which was again Toni & Guy Model Me. Jamelia Enriching Shampoo.  I mixed 1oz of shampoo with 7oz of warm water, shook and then applied to my scalp and full length of my twists, concentrating mainly on my scalp.  I then took two or three pumps of the shampoo and applied this to the ends and length squeezing the watery shampoo mix and thicker undiluted shampoo through the twists to get them clean.  I let the shampoo sit for a minute and then thoroughly rinsed.


3.  Next I applied my black tea rinse, concentrating on my scalp, which I made earlier using hot water and 5 x PG Tips tea bags and left to steep for about 45-60mins. I let this sit on my hair for 3-5mins before moving on to the next step.  Usually I would cover my hair with a conditioning cap and leave the tea on my hair for 30mins but in braids I take advantage of the lack of faff and I whistle through most of the steps as it's much easier to care for my hair in this state.

4.  Whilst letting the tea sit on my hair I made up my deep conditioning mix.  I didn't know what to put on my hair today as I am mindful not to overdo the protein.  I wanted a highly scented conditioner to make my braids smell yummy, something moisturising and a tackler of shedding so I opted for Alter Ego Impact Ego Hot Oil Treatment with Garlic which I used up, so that is another product which I can cross off my product stash list, although I do have another full tub of this which is great because I love this conditioner which is moisturising with some protein.  I added a squirt of Nutrine Garlic conditioner to combat shedding, grapeseed oil and olive oil which made up about 3 oz before topping up my 8oz bottle with warm water and shaking before applying to my hair.  I concentrated the application of this to the twists and avoided putting too much on my roots so as to avoid build up at the base of the braids.  I then grabbed my jar of Vatika Deep Conditioner for dry dull and lifeless hair which I brought back in August last year and squeezed this into the ends of the braids.   I was looking through my blog the other day and saw that I liked this the last time I used in whilst in kinky twists so I thought I would give it a whirl seeing as I had it to hand.  This time I applied it concentrating on my ends.  This is another highly scented conditioner and I can still smell it in my hair the following morning.  I left the conditioner on my hair for about 10mins in total before rinsing out.  During the rinsing process I filled a large jug with water, soaked the braids in the water and swished about whilst squeezing the braids whilst in the jug of water.  I felt this made rinsing more through along the length of the braids.

5.  Next I popped a towel on my head for about 10mins until the twists stopped dripping and then spritzed them with some Aphogee Keratini & Green Tea Restrucurizer and Elasta H2 Leave In Conditioner and left them to soak in for 30mins.

6.  As it was almost time for bed at this point, I had to opt for a blow dry to get my hair dry enough to go to sleep.  I used my Toni & Guy Ionic Blow Dryer for about 10 mins in total on warm heat and high speed.

7.  Lastly, I as I didn't have any Taliah Waajid Bodifier with me I dug out another item from my stash which I don't think I have used since early on in my hair journey, ORS Olive Oil Moisturising Lotion and sealed with coconut oil and oiled my hairline with JBCO.  I then popped my twists into a loose low bun, put on my head scarf to flatten any frizzies (which works perfectly!) and then hopped into bed!

The whole process took about an hour and 15mins and 30mins of that was whilst I waited for my hair to dry after spraying in my leave ins.  I love Kinky Twist wash days!!!  I just hope I can say the same about my regular wash days when I take these out in two weeks time!  ("~)


I HAVE A QUESTION: 


I am toying with the idea of doing a henna gloss treatment on the same day that I take out the twists.  I have never done this before and am scared of inducing unnecessary tangles.  Ladies, if you have ever taken out a long term protective style (braids, twists or weave) and then applied henna on the same day I would be really interested in hearing your comments on whether it was a bad or good experience.


Ciao 4 Now


Share:

5 comments

  1. have you tried the toni & guy high maintenance pomade - jamelia. i love it

    ReplyDelete
  2. @chi9ja

    Hi (",)

    No, I have never tried it. I only tried/purchased the shampoo a couple of years ago because I found it in Poundland. What do you use the pomade for, is it for slicking down edges etc?

    Thanks for commenting!

    T

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why is it that my braids smell mill dewey after I wash it??

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Anonymous

    Hi (",)

    My guess would be that you might be getting the mildew smell because your braids are not drying effectively. This causes fungus to grow and then causes a smell of mildew.

    To combat this, I would suggest regularly incorporating tea tree oil, coconut oil and other anti-fungal ingredients into your braid regimen.

    However, most importantly I would encourage you to ensure that your braids are permitted to dry throughly after wash days either by air-drying or using a blow dryer. I went to bed last night with damp braids but only because I knew it would be hot today so I would be able to wear my braids loose so they could dry properly. I also recommend doing the same when it comes to moisturising your hair especially if you over wet your hair during moisturising with a water based spritz which is what i do.

    Do whatever you can to discourage the growth of bacteria to reduce the mildew smell.

    I hope that helps.

    T
    Xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing this useful info. Check it on: where to buy take down remover detangler cream

    ReplyDelete

I simply ♥ to read your comments....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
© Simply Into My HAIR | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Crafted by pipdig