Tuesday 20 December 2011

Wig Wars: The Winning Wig...!!!

"Okay, so I've had both of my units for a while now so it's about time for a review.  I must admit that I'm going to have to approach this differently to my initial plans as when I was gearing up to wear the wigs for the first time I was pushed for time and did not get time to take as many pictures as I'd planned.  Anyway here goes - The Wig Wars Ultimate Unit!"



Okay, to make things simpler for the purpose of this side by side review, I will refer to the units as follows:

The Full Lace = (FL)                                             The Lace Front  =  (LF)



I will give each a mark out of 3, 1 being the lowest and 3 being the highest score, then I'll tally up the scores at the end in order to decide upon an overall winner.





Customer Service

LF
I can't really rate the customer service for this unit as I didn't have any interaction with the seller apart from the email to confirm that the unit had be dispatched.
Score: 2

FL
The customer service received from this seller was outstanding!  The seller answered all of my questions promptly, agreed to a discount and ordered me a non-standard cap construction.  The only email that wasn't answered was my panicky email wanting confirmation that the unit delivered was a medium.  Again, my shoddy braids made me think it didn't fit - but it fits better now.
Score: 2.5

Price

LF
I think the price for this wig is okay due to the length and the quality of the hair.  However when it comes to the density of the hair I think I would have been happier to pay in the region of £120 - £130.
Score: 1

FL
Overall I think that the price I paid £150 is fair for this unit.  I received a discount of £15 on the listed price and I feel happy with the price I paid for this unit.
Score:2

Delivery Turnaround

LF
Quick delivery.  It took under a week for the unit to arrive which I thought was fine.  I received an email from the seller advising me that it had been dispatched and the unit arrived the following day, despite having to go through the internal mailing system at work.
Score: 3

FL
Delivery of this unit took longer than that of the LF unit but this was due to me ordering a different item to that listed on the Ebay Seller's shop due to the hair texture (Yaki) and cap construction (stretch from ear to ear) so it took about a week and a half, which I was still pleased with as this was explained to me.  I probably would have received it quicker if I'd actually provided the seller with my address!
Score: 3

Packaging

LF
The packaging was very pretty.  It came securely wrapped in a plastic mailing envelope.  The hair was in a shimmery red drawstring bag which I use to keep the wig protected whilst not in use.  This is excellent because it allows air to flow into the pouch which keeps the hair smelling fresh.  The unit also came with plenty of adhesive tapes (which I never intend to use mind you...so I've given them to a friend!) along with instructions of how to install and care for the unit.  The wig was inside of a net.   A couple of downsides were that the unit had an odd smell, I was pleased however that this smell was addressed in the instruction booklet.  I didn't like the smell, but at least it explained it and the smell disappeared after washing the unit.  I only wore the unit twice before I washed it.  Also, another downside was the fact that the front of the unit had a crease right in the front/middle of the hairline which puckered up and lifted away from my head.  This made me very aware that I was wearing a lace front and wasn't helped by the shoddy braiding underneath the unit.  This was caused by the unit being folded in the middle when inside the pouch.  This problem has gone now that I have a) washed the unit and b) sorted out my shoddy braiding!
Score 2

FL
The packaging with this unit was okay but very basic.  It came securely wrapped.  The hair itself was inside of a plastic wallet, similar to how basic weave wefts are purchased from the BSS.  Included in the package were some useful instructions on how to install the unit and how to care for it.  There was also a little label which confirmed the length and texture of the hair.  Nicely packaged, but nothing special to write home about. There was no odour to this unit and I loved the feel of it as soon as I opened it!
Score: 1


First Impressions

LF 
Man this hair is s-i-l-k-y-y-y-y-y!  Buttery soft but silky silky silky.  It is high luster in my opinion and a bit shiny too which I was not impressed about, although when listing the item the seller did say that it was silky and not shiny but I suppose the level of shininess is down to beholder. I thought it was too shiny and synthetic looking for my taste.  I also did not like the smell of the wig or the colour of the cap construction under the wefts - it is light brown/beige!  Not so great if the wind blows hard!!!
Score: 1

FL 
I loved this as soon as I opened the packaging. The texture was amazing.  Felt just like my hair does when it is relaxed bone straight.  Absolutely gorgeous.  It was buttery soft and medium to low luster which suited me down to the ground.  I loved how natural it looked straight out of the pack and couldn't wait to get it on my head!
Score:  2.5

Texture

LF
Too shiny/silky for my liking straight out of the packaging.
Score: 1

FL 
Just right.  I love this wig!

Score: 3


Shedding

LF
This unit shed quite a bit at first with finger combing and normal styling. It hardly sheds at all now since I washed it.
Score: 2

FL
No shedding from this unit at first.  Shedding has increased since I washed it, I now get shedding during styling all the time - although I think with the density, this unit can take it for now.
Score: 2

I have not used knot sealer on these units and won't unless I find some on the off chance in my local BSS which is highly unlikely!


Styling

LF 
The styling of this wig bothered me a little.  This was mainly down to the crease in the front of the lace.  I cut just a few layers in the front of the wig using a razor and now it fits great.  Also, after washing I wear this hair in it's natural wavy state and I love it.  I've worn it for a couple of Saturday nights out and it looked and felt great.   I choose to wear it with a centre parting, tucked behind my ears and swooping to one side at the back.  Looks lush and is no way near as shiny since I've washed it which I am definitely not going to complain about...!
Score: 2.5

FL 
This unit come with a fringe already cut.  Luckily it was a little on the long side which allowed me enough freedom to restyle it somewhat.  I like a heavier fringe than that supplied with the unit so I have cut more hair into the fringe and slightly layered the sides to frame my face a little.  I've cut it three times so far and think I will still amend it one more time.  I wear this unit every day to work and have installed it using the elastic band method, which I now need to tighten since relaxing my hair.  I tend to wear the hair pinned in a low bun using my Goody Spin Pin and the fringe very loosely curled.  Now that my hair is braided better underneath the unit lays pretty flat and looks pretty natural.
Score: 3

Hairline

LF 
The hairline on this unit is okay, but quite thick.  The baby hairs are pretty long but that doesn't bother me as I just comb them into the rest of the hair.  The unit fits well with my dodgy braids and newgrowth but is a little on the larger side when my hair is braided flatter in cornrows.  This unit is secure but doesn't feel as secure as the full lace unit.  I am actually contemplating sewing some elastic into this unit, just like I have to the full lace unit.
Score: 2

FL 
The hairline on this unit is much the same as the other unit, being that it is pretty thick in my opinion.  The baby hairs are about the same length as the fringe!  Again, this doesn't really bother me due to how I choose to style the unit whilst I'm wearing it.  This unit in my opinion comes up on the small side.  The ear tabs at the side do not quite meet my hairline.  This would have been a major problem if a) I had intended to glue the unit to my head and b) if it didn't have a fringe.  At the moment the unit lies nice and snugly and I am impressed with how close the hairline at the front blends in.  I am using the elastic band method where I have sewn dressmakers elastic into the unit from just behind one ear tab to the other.  I love the way this fits and how secure it is although it does need adjusting since my relaxer.
Score: 2


Fit

LF 
Too big
Score: 1


FL
Too small
Score: 1


Both units have the same measurements - so who knew they would be so vastly different...?!

Construction

LF
This cap has a strong construction.  I am not a fan of the adjustable straps in the back.  I would prefer them to be of tighter tension elastic and that they would be within the construction of the cap so when tightened they would cause the cap to scrunch in on itself.  Maybe this would make the hair pucker though but that's what I would prefer.  I hate the fact that the construction under the tracks in the back is nude colour which has me super paranoid that they could be seen if the wind blows.  This is exacerbated by the fact that the unit has a low density in my opinion.  I would never get a lace front again on this basis.  I would either get full lace units and use the same install method as now, or I would opt for a glueless full lace wig instead, so I get the benefits of both. If this wig had a darker cap to match the hair I would be far happier with this purchase.  It won't stop me wearing it but it will be solely for evening wear only - when there is no wind!
Score: 2

FL
The construction of this unit is also very strong.  It is holding up to the elastic sewn into it very well and is also holding up to being worn on a daily basis.  I love the way that this hair can be parted anywhere and that the density is just right.  I wish my real hair was this thick! I will definitely get another full lace unit for the summer, but a glueless one.
Score: 2.5


After Washing

LF
This unit came out much better after washing.  It has been washed once and looks fab in it's natural curly state and now has a medium luster which is very pretty.  This unit does not tangle.
Score: 3

FL
This unit is getter harder and harder to tame the more I wash it.  I don't like it looking greasy which can be a problem with fringes so I have washed it three times now which and worn it pretty much every day since getting it.  It is getting fuller and fuller (probably as I speak!) and it takes a lot more work to keep it doing what it's supposed to and looking nice. I have now taken to blow-drying it using heat protectant and a large paddle brush, that sorts it out pretty quickly.  Then I run my GHD's through it, moisturise and seal then add a spritz of oil sheen.   It's much easier to handle.  It if gets worse, I have also seen a post by Braids To Grow about the possibility of relaxing the wig hair with a lye relaxer so I might have to give this a go in time.  For now I am managing really well with the use of Treseme heat protectant and blow-drying the unit using a paddle brush.  Oh, did I mention that oil sheen is now my best friend!?  Oh, I did didn't I....

This hair sheds alot more now that it's older.  I don't mind though as it has medium to thick density.  I probably treat it a little roughly if I'm honest.  One thing I am not impressed about though are the amount of grey hairs appearing in this unit.  It's almost like the dye is washing out of the unit and it's only been washed three times.  I may have to dye it before long.  This is definitely not cool in my opinion.
Score: 2.5 (deducted 0.5 due to grey hairs!)




And The Winner Is 
The Full Lace Unit 

"Although the full lace unit has won I would say that I wouldn't actually buy either of these units again.  Overall I am not impressed by the fit of either unit.  I am also not blown away by the hair quality or construction of either unit if I'm honest.  I will purchase another unit for the Summer months but it won't be from Ebay next time."

Sorry for the lack of pictures.  I can't access dropbox at the moment.  I will upload some at a later date to support this review.

Ciao 4 Now
Share:

1 comment

  1. Thanks for sharing this information, now a days full lace wigs are available in premium quality and at affordable price online.

    ReplyDelete

I simply ♥ to read your comments....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
© Simply Into My HAIR | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Crafted by pipdig